Apple, chicken & sweet potato – I know, sounds like a unique combination in chili but it is so delicious. You will not believe the incredible depth of flavor of a spoonful of this delightful soup. I was skeptical too, my hand shakily added the chopped Granny Apples to the pot, but I did not regret my decision one bit.
Klint and I are taking up golf together and spent Saturday morning at the range. The crisp air inspired this steamy autumn bowl. Seriously, this one is so good it will replace all other chili recipes starred in your cookbook. Chipotle is also one of my favorite seasonings, with a slightly smoky and sweet taste.
We enjoyed ours with a slice of cinnamon spiced pumpkin bread. Other side or topping options: slices of avocado, tortilla chips, plain Greek yogurt, low fat shredded cheese or cornbread muffins. Go ahead, fire up your slow cooker and tonight’s dinner will be complete and satisfying.
Chipotle Apple, Chicken & Sweet Potato Chili
gluten & dairy free option
• 1 lb Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
• Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
• 1 1/2 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth, low sodium*
• 1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
• 1 large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
• 2 small Sweet Potatoes, peeled, chopped
• 2 medium Granny Smith Apples, unpeeled, chopped
• 4 Garlic Cloves, peeled, grated (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
• 1 tsp Chipotle (Smoked Chili) Powder
• 3 tsp Chili Powder
• 1 tsp Cumin, ground
• 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, ground
• 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes, low sodium, with juice
• 2 cups Tomato Juice, low sodium
• 15 oz can Black Beans, rinsed & drained
• 15 oz can Pinto Beans, rinsed & drained
• 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
*Gluten free option: Use GF broth.
1. Spray a large slow cooker (4-5 quart size) with cooking spray and place chicken breasts evenly in the bottom, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Pour broth around seasoned chicken, cover and cook on low 3-4 hours, or high 2-3 hours, then shred chicken.
2. Add chopped onion, green pepper, sweet potato, apple, grated garlic, chipotle powder, chili powder, cinnamon, diced tomatoes and tomato juice to cooked chicken. Stir, cover and cook on low 3-4 hours, or 2-3 hours on high, until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
3. Stir in beans 5-10 minutes before serving and season with sea salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot topped with fresh chopped cilantro. Serves 8-10. Serving size, about 1 cup. Additional healthy topping options: avocado, reduced-fat corn tortilla chips, light sour cream or plain low fat Greek yogurt.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 170 calories, 1g fat, 20mg cholesterol, 26g carb, 7g fiber, 7g sugar, 16g protein