Today I worked on homemade holiday gifts. One of my favorite things to do this time of year. Attempting to keep it simple paid off as I created several tasty, inexpensive handcrafted treats to share with you all this week.
Starting it off are these slightly spicy, salty and crunchy almonds. Double or triple the batch for an easy snack or party appetizer with cocktails. Fill up a glass jar or bowl lined with parchment paper. A healthy present to hand out to friends, neighbors or guests.
I heart almonds. Especially almonds toasted in olive oil and spices. (p.s. the next treat involves chocolate – so stay tuned.)
PAPRIKA SPICED ALMONDS
gluten & dairy free
makes 3 cups
• 2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 2 tsp SMOKED PAPRIKA, GROUND
• 1/4 tsp CHILI POWDER
• 1/4 tsp CAYENNE PEPPER, GROUND
• 1 tsp SEA SALT
• 3 cups RAW ALMONDS
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Mix together garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Add spices and almonds to olive oil, stir until well coated and sauté 8-10 minutes; stirring occasionally not to burn.
2. Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper. Serve warm or cold. Great holiday gift in a glass jar with lid or bag. Serving size about 2 tbsp almonds.
VARIATIONS: Substitute cashews, peanuts, walnuts or nut mixture for almonds.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 110 calories, 10g fat, 1g sat fat, 90mg sodium, 4g carb, 2g fiber, 4g protein
*recipe slightly adapted from Elana’s Pantry, http://www.elanaspantry.com/smoked-paprika-almonds/.