candies, chocolate bark, Christmas, cooking, dairy free, dark chocolate, dessert, dried fruit, food, gluten free, healthy treat, holiday, homemade gift, individual chocolate bark, nuts, peanut clusters
Chocolate bark is good, but individual dark chocolate barks are even better. Melt your chocolate as usual and pour little “puddles” of creamy goodness onto a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Let guests, kids or therapeutically by yourself, decorate with a variety of toppings.
I did this in a cooking class a few weeks ago and students loved it, even the younger chefs. I set out bowls of toppings and trays of chocolate and let the creating begin. Here are some toppings I used along with a few other options:
brown rice crisps cereal
unsweetened shredded coconut
dried apricots, chopped
pecans, cashews, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts or peanuts
pumpkin (pepita) seeds
flake sea salt
pretzels, crushed (I used gluten free)
graham crackers, crushed
peanut or almond butter
Serve beautifully arranged on a platter at a party, wrapped in a treat bag or make ahead and freeze. Easy, fun, economical and a healthier treat – can’t beat that during the holiday cheer. Easily make your own peanut clusters by mixing in desired amount of dry roasted peanuts and dropping them onto parchment or into paper muffin cups. I made some regular and salted peanut clusters below. Have fun with this one!
Easy Individual Chocolate Barks
gluten & dairy free option
makes about 24
• 14 oz DARK or BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE (bar or chips)*
• 2/3 cup CHOPPED NUTS
• 2/3 cup DRIED FRUIT (additional toppings below)
*Gluten & Dairy Free Option: Use GF and DF chocolate.
1. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
2. Roughly chop the chocolate bar(s) and melt in a microwave or on stovetop in a double broiler. Spread evenly into a large rectangle with a spatula or 24 individual circles (about 2 tbsp chocolate) on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle chocolate with toppings and press gently to adhere.
3. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until set and firm. Break into 24 pieces (if making one large bark). Serving size: 1 piece.
Additional Topping Options: brown rice crisps cereal, unsweetened shredded coconut, dried cranberries
raisins, dried cherries, dried apricots-chopped, pistachios, sliced almonds, pecans, cashews, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts or peanuts, mixed nuts, pumpkin (pepita) seeds, flake sea salt, pretzels-crushed (I used gluten free), graham crackers-crushed, granola, ground cinnamon, peanut or almond butter
VARIATIONS: Pour chocolate into mini muffin cups or mix half the toppings in with chocolate.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (approximately): 120 calories, 7g fat, 3g sat fat, 13g carb, 1g fiber, 11g sugar, 0g protein