KIND bars are one of my favorite grab and go snacks. With a variety of flavors they are a satisfying sweet treat. On a recent eat one a day stretch, I started to realize what was healthy for my body was not for my wallet.
So, I searched and found a great blog with several KIND bar copy cat recipes (http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars). Yes, you can create them economically in your very own kitchen! I chose the classic mixed nut variety and after cutting into bars wrap individually and store in the fridge. A wonderful, energy supplying bite before or after a workout.
Nutritious and flavorful snack to start off the new year!
NUT DELIGHT BARS (KIND copy cat)
gluten & dairy free
makes 18 bars
• 2 cups MIXED NUTS
• 3/4 cups ALMONDS, WHOLE
• 1/2 cup PEANUTS
• 1/2 cup PUFFED MILLET, RICE or CRISPY BROWN RICE CEREAL
• 1 tbsp FLAXSEED MEAL/GROUND FLAXSEED
• 1/2 cup HONEY
• 1/3 cup BROWN RICE SYRUP
• 1/4 tsp SEA SALT
• 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND (optional)
1. Toast nuts if using raw. Combine nuts, puffed millet or rice and flaxseed in a large glass bowl.
2. Whisk honey, brown rice syrup and sea salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted and bubbles form around outside of the pan. Stir in vanilla and pour over nut mixture, mix with spatula until well coated.
3. Spread evenly into a parchment lined 9 x 13″ pan and press down with the back of a measuring cup sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm and cut into 18 bars. Serving size, 1 bar.
VARIATIONS: Drizzle melted dark chocolate over top, add raisins or other nuts if desired.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 190 calories, 12g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 85mg sodium, 17g carb, 2g fiber, 12g sugar, 5g protein
Recipe adapted slightly from The Yummy Life blog: http://www.theyummylife.com/Homemade_KIND_Bars