Okay, so a little late with this one. I meant to post in time for holiday celebrations but we ate each batch so quickly around here I couldn’t snap a picture fast enough. My final batch got a mug shot, so here it is about a month late, but still just as tasty. I started to wonder why we don’t make this salty, crunchy snack year round and quickly reminded by my lack of self control why I don’t.
I know Chex cereal isn’t the purest, additive free product but I was craving this recipe last month and had to compromise a little on my pure, whole food eating approach. We have to live a little, right? I feel so adventurous.
Gluten free pretzels are my new best friend. Everyone who has tried them verbally affirms they are far better than the wheat counterpart. Yay for great tasting gluten free products! These are also a source for loss in self restraint, just warning you.
Swap a few other ingredients and you’ve got a delicious gluten and dairy free version of Chex party mix. I served a large bowl to every guest who entered our house this holiday season, allergen free eater or not, it was obsessively loved by all. For your weekend movie on the couch, sub this savory treat for routine popcorn.
recipe adapted from Chex cereal box
gluten & dairy free option
makes 24 serving
• 4 cups CORN CHEX CEREAL
• 4 cups RICE CHEX CEREAL
• 2 cups PRETZELS*
• 1 cup RAW MIXED NUTS
• 1/2 cup PEANUTS
• 6 tbsp BUTTER*
• 2 tbsp WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE*
• 1 1/4 tsp SEASONED SALT (see recipe below)*
• 3/4 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 1/2 tsp ONION POWDER
*gluten free option: Use GF pretzels, Worcestershire sauce and homemade seasoned salt
dairy free option: Use GF & DF Butter spread (click products above for picture & link)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Spray a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl mix together Chex cereals, pretzels and nuts. Melt butter in a glass measuring cup in the microwave. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic and onion powders. Pour over cereal mixture and stir with a spatula until well coated.
3. Pour evenly onto prepared baking sheet and bake 40-50 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Spread mixture evenly in one layer onto parchment paper and let cool. Serving size about 1/2 cup.
HOMEMADE SEASONED SALT RECIPE
• 1 1/2 tbsp SEA SALT
• 1 tsp SUGAR
• 1 tsp PAPRIKA
• 1/4 tsp TUMERIC
• 1/4 tsp ONION POWDER
• 1/4 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 1/4 tsp PURE CORNSTARCH (gluten free)
Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Seasoned Salt recipe source: http://www.amyscookingadventures.com/2011/09/homemade-lawrys-seasoning-salt.html