Well, I’ve been vacating from life and blog for some time now. I love getting out of routine and then always welcome returning to it.
I thought scones would be a good way to enter back into life (also the day, bathtub or any endeavor for that matter). A great treat that freezes well, just reheat and brew a cup of hot coffee or steamy tea. Easily adapt flavors by adding fresh citrus zest or chocolate.
Serve for brunch, breakfast with eggs or a mid-afternoon snack. Almond flour is one of my favorite grain-free flours to bake with. I recommend Honeyville brand, or one in the bulk bins at the grocery store. Also, low carb, gluten & dairy free (but no one will ever suspect it).
BLUEBERRY ALMOND SCONES
gluten & dairy free
makes 8 scones
• 1 cup ALMOND FLOUR
• 1/4 cup COCONUT FLOUR
• 1/4 cup TAPIOCA FLOUR
• 1 EGG, large
• 1/4 cup COCONUT OIL, UNREFINED (microwave slightly to soften)
• 2 tbsp MAPLE SYRUP, 100% PURE
• 10 drops LIQUID STEVIA (or extra 1-2 T. maple syrup)
• 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT
• 1/2 tsp BAKING POWDER
• 1 tsp BAKING SODA
• 1 cup BLUEBERRIES, FROZEN or FRESH
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix egg, maple syrup or honey, Stevia (or extra syrup), extracts and coconut oil. Add dry ingredients and stir until moistened, fold in blueberries. Press dough evenly into prepared pan and cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Let cool 5 minutes, then lift scones out of pan with parchment paper and finish cooling on a rack. Cut if needed along scored edges and serve or freeze.
VARIATIONS: Add 1-2 T. fresh lemon or orange zest and chocolate chips or other berries for blueberries.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 200 calories, 15g fat, 7g sat fat, 25mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 14g carb, 4g fiber, 5g sugar, 4g protein