I have to divulge I am a baked goods consumer. And not just slightly, all out, one leads to two, and two to five and so on, if you know what I mean. When hearing that it be best for my health to go gluten free 8 years ago, you can imagine my panic button was pushed hard. Panera Bread was my favorite restaurant at the time, at one point I’d consistently eat a white flour bagel and cream cheese for lunch (I know incredibly unhealthy, right? I’d like the record to show it was reduced-fat cream cheese.)
None of us are just born healthy. I tell nutrition classes that I didn’t just wake up one morning and surprisingly find myself in good health. It takes work and effort, we all have to change, just some of us more than others, but the good news is it’s worth it. And I’m here to tell you Monday isn’t ever easier, do what you can, where you are, with what you have. Acknowledge it will take some work, but keep it simple.
Pick one thing to work on and practice until it becomes a part of your life. We don’t just drift into healthy habits, we have to train and retrain, mind, body and spirit. We have to choose to stop settling for mediocre, doing the same things the same way, but expecting a different outcome. Keep traveling that path to your healthy my friends and see yourself as able to change. We’ll never be perfect, but we can keep growing.
Okay, so my life lesson for today is complete and we can continue with the muffins. Currently, I don’t feel like I’m missing out at all in the pastry department (except I still think Panera Bread needs some GF baked good options, but I’ll save that for another day). These muffins are 70 calories each, 9g carbs, refined sugar and grain free! And they taste delicious.
Easily whip up a quick batch, stick some in the fridge and the other half in the freezer. Just pop in the microwave a few seconds to warm up, snack or dessert instantly. Kids will love them too. And, did I mention they taste like a little banana cinnamon bun?
BANANA CINNAMON SWIRL MUFFINS
gluten & dairy free
• 4 EGGS, large
• 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 1 large RIPE BANANA, mashed
• 1/4 tsp BAKING SODA
• 1/4 tsp SEA SALT
• 1/2 cup COCONUT FLOUR
• 2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 3 tbsp UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 1 tbsp COCONUT OIL, UNREFINED
• 1 tbsp MAPLE SYRUP, 100% PURE
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup regular muffin tin with paper liners, spray inside of each liner with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray from Trader Joes).
2. In a large bowl whisk the first 3 ingredients until smooth. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups until 3/4 full.
3. Combine topping ingredients (remaining 4) in a small microwaveable bowl. Heat for 20-30 seconds or until just melted. Stir until smooth and spoon about 1-2 t. mixture over batter in each muffin cup. Swirl cinnamon into batter with a toothpick. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set.
VARIATIONS: Add dark chocolate chips, cocoa powder or blueberries to the batter.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 70 calories, 3g fat, 2g sat fat, 70mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 9g carb, 3g fiber, 4g sugar, 3g protein
Adapted from Multiply Delicious blog, http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/02/banana-cinnamon-bun-muffins.