Absolutely my new go-to snack or dessert. Simple to make, crunchy, flavorful and no refined sugar or grains.
Make a signature cereal by adding other ingredients like raisins, unsweetened shredded coconut, pepita or sunflower seeds. Play around with seasonings, like warm pumpkin spice.
Unsweetened applesauce is a great substitute for oil when baking. I buy it in bulk for granola and my deliciously moist lemon poppy seed bread (recipe coming soon). Allergen free or not, you’ll devour this one. Eat healthy- feel healthy!
CINNAMON-APPLE SPICED GRANOLA (grain free)
gluten & dairy free
makes about 4 1/2 cups
• 2 cup RAW MIXED NUTS
• 2 tbsp GROUND FLAXSEED
• 1 tbsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
• 1 tsp ALLSPICE, GROUND
• 1/4 tsp GINGER, GROUND
• 1/4 tsp SEA SALT
• 7 DATES, MEDJOOL, pitted, chopped
• 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 2 tbsp COCONUT OIL, UNREFINED
• 2 tbsp 100% PURE MAPLE SYRUP
• 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine nuts (I used cashew, walnut, pecan, hazelnut & almond mix), chopped dates, spices, flaxseed and salt in a food processor or blender. Pulse a few time until a crumbly mixture is formed.
3. Heat coconut oil, applesauce and maple syrup until melted slightly; whisk with vanilla extract until smooth. Add nut mixture and stir until well coated. Pour granola in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, turn every 8-10 minutes. Crumble and let cool. Serving size about 1/4 cup.
Great with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and fresh or frozen berries!
VARIATIONS: Add unsweetened shredded coconut, dark chocolate, raisins, other nuts or seeds.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 120 calories, 9g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 80mg sodium, 9g carb, 2g fiber, 6g sugar, 3g protein
*Recipe adapted from Multiply Delicious blog, http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/11/apple-pie-paleo-granola