Who doesn’t love a good taco salad? Growing up my sister and I would assemble our cardboard forms, wrap with a soft tortilla and bake crunchy bowls to stuff with our fillings… takes me back. I then proceeded to douse mine with high fat ranch and French dressing. Oops.
I love making my own seasoning mixes. Store bought taco season packets are filled with preservatives, other chemicals and often gluten as well. When they simply contain chili powder, ground cumin, garlic, salt and pepper, so why not whip up your own? Try mixing a big batch and store in a convenient shaker container to sprinkle over sweet potato fries or chicken before baking.
Add any toppings you have or like. Kidney beans were on my shelf and cucumbers in my fridge so I tossed them on in. Salads are always a great way to get those daily veggies – add any variety you like, and lots of them!
gluten & dairy free
• 1 1/4 lb LEAN GROUND TURKEY or BEEF, 93/7
• 1 tsp GRAPESEED or OLIVE OIL
• 2 tbsp CHILI POWDER
• 1 tbsp CUMIN, GROUND
• 1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
• 16 oz CHERRY TOMATOES
• 1 large GREEN BELL PEPPER, sliced
• 1 large RED BELL PEPPER, sliced
• 15 oz can RED KIDNEY or BLACK BEANS, rinsed & drained
• 1 1/2 cups CUCUMBER, chopped
• 8 cups ROMAINE or LEAF LETTUCE
• 1/2 small RED ONION, chopped
• 1 AVOCADO, sliced
• FRESH CILANTRO & LIMES
1. Brown ground turkey or beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with grapeseed oil. Stir in tomatoes, seasonings and water; simmer 5-10 minutes.
2. Prepare toppings placing equal amounts in each of four large bowls or on dinner plates. Top with warm taco meat, salsa, lime wedges, Greek yogurt or tortilla chips, if desired. Serves 4 (large salads). (If you eat dairy, mix salsa and Greek yogurt for an easy creamy dressing).
VARIATIONS: Top with black kalmata olives, shredded cabbage, cooked corn, carrots or other vegetables.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 450 calories, 18g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 80mg cholesterol, 40g carb, 16g fiber, 11g sugar, 39g protein