Slow cookers, aka “Crock Pots”, are a beautiful invention. I’m reminded of its simplicity and ease every time I joyfully pull it out of my cupboard.
This recipe couldn’t be more effortless. One reason I love stir fry is how you can add pretty much any vegetable under the sun. A great avenue for getting 2-3 servings in one meal. I add as many as I can, and frozen mixed varieties are convenient and healthy. But, feel free to use fresh too!
Chicken breasts slowly simmered in broth, garlic, ginger and colorful produce – an eye catching, complete meal when served over steamed brown rice or quinoa. If you want a side or appetizer to add for dinner parties try my Crispy Asian Green Beans… more tasty vegetables. I love it, healthy food should and can taste good!
CHICKEN & BROCCOLI STIR FRY (SLOW COOKER)
gluten & dairy free option
• 1 1/2 lb CHICKEN BREASTS (thawed or frozen)
• 1 tsp SESAME OIL
• 1 medium ONION, sliced
• 3/4 cup LOW SODIUM VEGETABLE or CHICKEN BROTH
• 1 tbsp GROUND GINGER
• 1 tbsp GARLIC POWDER
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER, to taste
• 20 oz STIR FRY VEGETABLE BLEND, frozen
• 10 oz BROCCOLI FLORETS, frozen
• 1/4 cup LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE*
• 1 tbsp RICE VINEGAR
• 2 tsp SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE (optional or to taste)
*Gluten free option: Use wheat-free Tamari soy sauce.
1. Drizzle sesame oil in the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer onion slices, chicken breasts and sprinkle with garlic powder, ginger, sea salt and pepper. Pour in vegetable or chicken broth. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or 3-4 on high.
2. Shred chicken with forks. Stir in frozen vegetables, soy sauce and rice vinegar the last 30 minutes of cooking time; cover and cook on high.
3. Spoon stir fry mixture, with sauce from the bottom, over cooked quinoa or brown rice. Top with hot sauce, extra soy sauce, fresh cilantro and sesame seeds, if desired. Serves 6-8. Serving size about heaping 1 cup.
VARIATIONS: Add any favorite fresh or frozen vegetables, red peppers, carrots, celery, green beans, asparagus. Add 1 Tbsp honey for a little sweetness to sauce.
NUTRITION INFO SERVING: Calories 190, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 55mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 5g, Protein 29g