I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, “I love slow cookers”. I would gladly trade in my smart phone for the convenience of a crock pot… well, maybe in theory. Put chicken breasts in and voila, ultra-flavorful tender chicken with almost zero effort. Healthy cooking doesn’t have to be complicated or tasteless. Once you start creating delicious, whole food meals and home you won’t want to go back to the former processed, drive through or microwaveable meals.
We crave what we eat and junk in equals junk out. Eating to fuel our bodies improves energy, brain function, digestion, skin appearance, reduces cravings and helps balance hormones. And those are just a few benefits!
Creamy almond butter (or substitute no sugar added peanut butter) add healthy fat to the lean protein in this recipe, along with a few other flavor boosting ingredients. A versatile recipe for weeknights or weekend entertaining. Serve over steamed brown rice, with a side of mixed vegetables or over fresh greens and veggies like I did here. Whisk up extra almond butter sauce for dressing if desired. Serve with a side or appetizer of my Spicy Green Beans.
Oven baking option listed and feel free to use frozen chicken breasts as well, may need to increase cook time as needed. You probably have all ingredients on hand already. You still have time to fill your crock pot with this delicious dish over lunch to enjoy for dinner. Or write in on tomorrow’s menu.
ALMOND BUTTER CHICKEN
gluten & dairy free
crock pot recipe
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS
• 1/2 cup CHICKEN BROTH, LOW SODIUM*
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER, to taste (optional)
• 2 tbsp ALMOND BUTTER, no sugar added
• 1 tbsp RAW or PURE HONEY
• 2 tbsp SOY SAUCE, LOWER SODIUM*
• 1 tsp SRIRACHA HOT SAUCE (optional)
• 4 tsp RAW ALMONDS, chopped
• MIXED BABY GREENS, PURPLE CABBAGE, GREEN ONION, CARROT, RED PEPPER (for salad)
*Gluten free option: Use wheat-free Tamari Soy sauce & chicken broth.
1. Place chicken in a cooking sprayed crock pot or baking dish with chicken broth, sea salt and pepper to taste. For crock pot cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours; for oven baking cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. While chicken cooks whisk together almond butter, honey (may need to heat slightly to thin), soy sauce and hot sauce if using.
2. Remove any fat and shred hot chicken with forks; then stir in almond butter sauce to coat chicken well. Top with chopped almonds and serve over steamed brown rice, vegetables or mixed greens with red pepper, green onion, purple cabbage, carrot & avocado slices (whisk extra almond butter sauce for dressing if desired). Serving size, about 4 oz. chicken.
VARIATIONS: Use peanut butter and peanuts for almond options.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 200 Calories, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 60mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g, Dietary Fiber < 1g, Sugars 5g, Protein 27g