A spectacular way to get kids and adults to eat vegetables is to bake with them. Folding in fresh grated zucchini boosts nutrients, moisture and flavor in this easily made baked good.
It’s almost automatic for me to toss dark chocolate chips in zucchini or pumpkin bread, but feel free to substitute raisins for a lower calorie breakfast or snack.
The combination of almond and coconut flours are simply delightful. Naturally lower carb and gluten free, allergen free eater or not you’ll love this delicious Spring treat.
ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD
gluten & dairy free
makes 8 slices
• 1 cup ZUCCHINI, grated
• 3 large EGGS
• 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/3 cup RAW or PURE HONEY or MAPLE SYRUP
• 1 tbsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/4 tsp GROUND CLOVES or NUTMEG
• 1 tsp BAKING POWDER
• 1 tsp BAKING SODA
• 3/4 cup ALMOND FLOUR
• 1/4 cup COCONUT FLOUR
• 1/2 cup DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS* (or raisins)
*Gluten & dairy free option: Use GF & DF dark chocolate chips.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
2. Whisk together eggs, applesauce, vanilla, honey, spices, flours, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips (if using) with a spatula.
3. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces. Serving size one piece.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 240 Calories, Total Fat 12g, Saturated Fat 3.5g, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 19g, Protein 6g
Recipe adapted from Just Eat Real Food blog.