Eating protein in the AM sets the tone for the remainder of the day. I can’t stress enough the importance of enjoying breakfast within 1 hour of waking. The first meal revs up your metabolism, communicating to your body it’s time to start burning calories and fat for fuel. Not eating breakfast sends our bodies into fat storing mode and the imbalance makes us feel sluggish and starving beyond 2-3pm.
Most Americans are hungry, because even though eating we are starving for nutrients. McDonald’s hamburger, fries and coke send very different messages to our bodies than a meal of grilled fish, roasted vegetables, quinoa and water. Nourishing our bodies with nutrient dense foods, like these tasty Mini Greek Frittatas, keep us satisfied and alert for the daily tasks that come our way. Try serving with my Sweet Potato Hash and fresh berries for a complete breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Each day we have the great opportunity to choose foods that give us life, energy and enjoyment. Also, an easy, healthy recipe for showers or brunch gatherings!
MINI GREEK FRITTATAS
gluten & dairy free recipe
• 8 EGGS, large
• 1/3 cup WATER
• 1 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN, cold pressed
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER (or 2 garlic cloves minced)
• 1 tsp ITALIAN SEASONING
• 1/4 tsp each SEA SALT AND PEPPER
• 20 WHOLE KALAMATA OLIVES, pitted & chopped
• 1/2 cup SUN DRIED TOMATOES, chopped
• 2 cups BABY SPINACH
• 1 RED or GREEN BELL PEPPER, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease 12 – regular size muffin tin cups.
2. Whisk eggs, water, olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Fold in spinach, olives, tomatoes and red or green pepper with a spatula. Scoop even amounts of mixture into each prepared muffin tin.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until egg cups are almost set (slightly liquid center). Let set a few minutes and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the freezer or refrigerator. Serving size, 2 mini frittatas.
VARIATIONS: Add or substitute any favorite vegetables like chopped tomatoes, finely chopped broccoli, mushrooms or kale.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (2 frittatas): Calories 160, Total Fat 10g, Cholesterol 285mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 10g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g, Protein 10g