What’s more fun than eating off a wooden skewer? Being from Iowa I know all about State Fairs, and I think that’s why they serve everything on a stick. It’s just more exciting, and probably healthier, to take a bite out of a fried oreo on a stick, right? Ok….minus the healthy part.
An easy side dish, appetizer or dessert that looks like you spent half a day preparing. Delicious fresh fruit, beautifully displayed on a kabob with refreshing mint, for neatly dunking into creamy berry dip. Great shower or cocktail party food as well.
Mix it up with other seasonal fruits such as melon, kiwi or blackberries. Or add a little almond or vanilla extract to the fruit dip. Endless flavor possibilities!
3 cups FRESH PINEAPPLE, cut into chunks
24 FRESH MINT LEAVES, optional
1 1/2 cup RED GRAPES
1 1/2 cup GREEN GRAPES
- 10 oz FRESH STRAWBERRIES, stem removed & halved
- 24 BAMBOO SKEWERS, 4-5″ in length
BERRY YOGURT DIP
8 oz NONFAT, PLAIN GREEK YOGURT
4 oz MARSCAPONE CHEESE OR REDUCED FAT CREAM CHEESE, softened
1/2 cup LIGHT WHIPPED CREAM
1/4 cup FRUIT SPREAD OR JAM, 100% FRUIT, any favorite flavor (or use my homemade triple berry fruit spread)
1/4 cup SUGAR, POWDERED, CONFECTIONER’S
2 tbsp HONEY, PURE
- 1 LEMON ZESTED, (2 Tbsp fresh juice)
1. For the Dip: Blend together all ingredients until smooth. Garnish with mint leaves if desired. VARIATIONS: Stir in slivered almonds or mini dark chocolate chips.
2. For the Fruit Skewers: Skewer one mint leave, red grape, pineapple chunk, strawberry and green grape. Serve on a large platter with Berry Fruit Dip.
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR 2 KABOBS: 50 calories, 0g fat, 7g carb, 5g sugar
NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR 2 Tbsp DIP: 40 calories, 1g fat, 6g carb, 5g sugar, 1g protein
Side note……I served the fruit kabobs with my almond raspberry cookies (under sides tab for valentine’s day or desserts) last night for a dinner. Made the cookies round and drizzled with melted white chocolate instead of almond glaze. They were a hit, with the children and adults!
Posted by repurposed life | Filed under Appetizers, Sides, Spring/Summer