Power up with this quick and easy, complete meal-in-a-bowl. Eating lean protein at every meal, and some snacks, is a wonderful, healthy habit to practice. This substance food helps stabilize blood sugar, keep you fuller longer, reduce fatigue and balance hormone levels. What is a lean protein you ask? Well, chicken breasts (obviously used here), lean turkey & beef, quality fish like salmon, tilapia, cod, halibut, eggs, beans, nuts & seeds. I cooked my chicken breasts in a slow cooker on low during the day for 6-8 hours with sea salt, pepper and a little water for quick prep when I got home.
Creamy avocado, crunchy sunflower seeds and juicy blueberries pile a top fresh greens for a dynamic tasty salad. My husband has voiced a requirement that salads need to be “interesting”. I still haven’t gotten to the bottom of what defines “interesting”, but this salad received five stars from Klint. So, I guess I could have called them Interesting Chicken Power Bowls (just doesn’t have the same ring to it).
Whatever it takes to get people to eat vegetables, I’m game. Whether a name change is in order, swapping an ingredient, or adding a healthy dressing. I used a homemade lemon vinaigrette, but a homemade or good, light bottled balsamic would be great as well. Excellent post workout lunch or dinner!
CHICKEN POWER BOWLS
gluten & dairy free
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELSS, SKINLESS
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER, to taste
• 8 cups BABY KALE & SPINACH MIX (or mixed greens)
• 6 oz FRESH BLUEBERRIES
• 1 SEEDLESS or REGULAR CUCUMBER, sliced
• 20 BABY CARROTS
• 15 oz can GARBANZO BEANS (CHICKPEAS), rinsed & drained
• 4 tsp RAW SUNFLOWER SEEDS
• 1 large AVOCADO, chopped
• 2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
• 1 LEMON, juiced
• 1 tsp HONEY, PURE or RAW
• 1/4 tsp ROSEMARY, DRIED, crushed
1. Cook chicken breasts (fresh or frozen) with sea salt and pepper in a crock pot or oven bake (350 F degrees for 20-25 minutes in a covered baking dish sprayed with cooking spray). Shred chicken.
2. Whisk 2 T. olive oil, juice from 1 lemon, honey, rosemary, sea salt and pepper in a measuring cup. Layer 2 cups spinach and kale mix in a large bowl with 2 oz blueberries, about 2/3 cup garbanzo beans, 1/4 of the cucumber, 5 carrots, 1/4 of the avocado, drizzle of vinaigrette, 1 tsp sunflower seeds and additional sea salt and pepper, if desired. Makes 4 bowls. Serving size one bowl.
VARIATIONS: Add raspberries or blackberries, cherry tomatoes or other favorite vegetable.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 450 Calories, Total Fat 18g, Cholesterol 55mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g, Dietary Fiber 15g, Sugars 11g, Protein 32g
PRINT RECIPE – PDF