Looking for something new to add to your holiday cookie platter? Why not try some twice-baked Italian biscuits know as biscotti. Great for holiday parties, gift baskets and cookie exchanges this time of year. These sweet treats freeze well, travel well and are just delicious. Your guests will ooh and awe as you serve a platter of pumpkin and cranberry biscotti with hot mugs of coffee or cider after dinner. One word, yum!
and here’s a close up……
makes 18 biscotti
1/2 cup PUMPKIN, CANNED, 100% pure pumpkin
1/2 cup BROWN SUGAR
1/2 cup SUGAR
2 tbsp BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, softened
2 EGGS, large
1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
2 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
1 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
1 tsp BAKING POWDER
2 1/2 cup WHITE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ALL PURPOSE
1/4 cup CRANBERRIES, DRIED
- 4 oz WHITE CHOCOLATE BAR (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan or baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
2. Combine pumpkin, sugars, eggs, butter and vanilla until creamed. Stir in cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into wet ingredients stirring just until combined.
4. Gently fold cranberries into batter.
5. Flour a working surface and form the batter into a log shape about 15-18″ long and 6-7″ wide. Place onto the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Slice into 18 pieces, place back on the baking sheet, cut side down and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cooked through, crunchy and start to brown. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Melt white chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon (if desired) and drizzle over cooled biscotti. Makes 18. Serving size is one biscotti.
just add coffee…..
VARIATIONS: Add chopped nuts or other dried fruit.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 160 calories, 4g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 30mg cholesterol, 28g carb, 1g fiber, 14g sugar, 3g protein