As you’ve probably noticed I’ve got Thanksgiving on the brain. My family from Iowa is coming for a California feast this year, and I’m just plain excited. Its’ my first, full-on holiday meal I’ve prepared. It’s feels monumental.
This recipe is more for after the big grateful day, “lighter” meal. And will give ample opportunity to use leftover turkey, possibly vegetables too. Or if you are a culinary rebel, make this dish the main feature of your holiday spread.
The soup uses my Perfect Herb Roasted Turkey Breasts from earlier this week. Feel free to substitute chicken breasts or turkey sausage would be lovely here as well. But, it’s hard to resist the roasted turkey with butternut squash and kale. A hearty, warm meal without the heavy feeling of a cream based soup.
Toss in some brown or wild rice to change it up or other vegetables you have on hand, carrots would be a great addition. Try serving with my Rosemary Cornbread Muffins, Rosemary Garlic Wheat Bread or Pumpkin Bread. Fresh, seasonal and delicious….. that’s what I love.
TURKEY, BUTTERNUT SQUASH & WHITE BEAN SOUP
- 2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 1 small YELLOW ONION, chopped
- 2 cups BUTTERNUT SQUASH or SWEET POTATO, peeled & chopped
- 1 small ZUCCHINI, chopped (optional)
- 1 small POTATO, RUSSET, peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves GARLIC, minced
- 6 cups CHICKEN BROTH, LOWER SODIUM*
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/2 RECIPE PERFECT HERB ROASTED TURKEY BREASTS, cut into cubes
- 1 BAY LEAF, dried
- 15 oz GREAT NORTHERN BEAN, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups KALE, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp FRESH HERB MIX (CHOPPED PARSLEY, THYME, ROSEMARY) or half the amount dried
*Gluten Free Option: Use gluten/wheat free chicken broth.
1. In a large soup pot, sauté onion, potato and butternut squash in olive oil for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add garlic, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in chicken broth, chopped turkey, herbs and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf and add chopped kale and beans. Taste, and season with salt, pepper or extra herbs if needed. Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups soup. Serve with my Rosemary Cornbread Muffins or Pumpkin Bread.
VARIATIONS: Add brown or wild rice, short cut wheat pasta, turkey sausage or other variety of beans.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 150 calories, 3g fat, 20mg cholesterol, 17g carb, 4g fiber, 2g sugar, 15g protein