Store bought turkey sausage is often highly processed, full of nitrates, and other chemicals. And the good stuff tends to be a little pricey. So, why not make homemade sausage?
Enjoy these savory patties with eggs or my Mini Greek Frittatas at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Crumble patties, and add to other dishes like spaghetti sauce or soup.
Make up a batch or two, and store in the fridge or freezer to conveniently reheat. A flavorful mix of seasonings, unsweetened applesauce and olive oil create a juicy, healthy side dish. An easy and delicious way to add lean protein to any meal.
Turkey Breakfast Sausage
gluten & dairy free
makes 12 patties
• 1/4 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 3/4 tsp SEA SALT
• 1/2 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp SAGE, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 1/4 tsp ONION POWDER
• 1/4 tsp CAYENNE PEPPER, GROUND (optional)
• 1/4 tsp CRUSHED RED PEPPER FLAKES (optional)
• 1 1/4 lb LEAN GROUND TURKEY, 93/7
• 2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
1. In a large bowl mix together first 9 ingredients with a fork. Add ground turkey and mix just until spices are incorporated (careful not to over mix or meat will become tough).
2. Form turkey mixture into 12 patties (about 1/4 cup turkey in each) and cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a little cold pressed grapeseed oil. Makes 12 small patties. May cool and store in refrigerator or freezer to reheat for later use.
NUTRITION INFO (PER SAUSAGE PATTY): Calories 70, Total Fat 2.5g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 25mg, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 11g