This definitely has to been one of the most loved items I’ve made to this point in my life….no joking around here. Reminds me of when I used to flip through my mom’s spiral bound, St. Bridget’s Church recipe book. Next to all her favorites was a pen marked star. A few chosen dishes got a double, or the rare triple star. This recipe is definitely a triple starer (not really a word, but you get the point).
Bright green, mild peppers stuffed with creamy cheese, sweet corn, light sour cream and turkey sausage, how could you go wrong? I mean seriously.
Like a fiesta party in your mouth. Serve these little boats of flavor on a platter as an appetizer or side. Great with tacos or my Bacon BBQ Chicken I made last night (next post coming).
Your family and guests will love them, and you, for cooking these jewels up. Trust me, you’ll want to make extra. Easily make the filling a day or two ahead and refrigerate. Just stuff peppers and bake before serving.
SAUSAGE STUFFED PEPPERS
makes 12 stuffed pepper halves
10 oz LEAN GROUND TURKEY OR CHICKEN SAUSAGE, cooked and crumbled
2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
1 small ONION, chopped
1 large GREEN OR RED BELL PEPPER, chopped
2 cloves GARLIC, minced
1 cup CORN, FRESH OR FROZEN, cooked
SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
1/3 cup FRESH CILANTRO, chopped
2/3 cup SOUR CREAM, REDUCED FAT
- 8 wedges LIGHT CHEESE, CHIPOTLE QUESO FRESCO, (Laughing Cow brand)
- 1/4 tsp CHILI POWDER
- 1 tsp PARSLEY, DRIED
- 12 medium SWEET OR MILD CHILI PEPPERS, (Cubanelle or Anaheim)
- 3/4 cup REDUCED FAT SHREDDED MEXICAN OR CHEDDAR CHEESE
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with foil. Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place halved peppers, cut side done, on prepared pans.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly softened and starting to brown.
2. Over medium high heat, saute turkey sausage in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, until browned, about 6-7 minutes; remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, cook onion and green pepper in olive oil for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and corn, cooking 1-2 additional minutes. Remove from heat and add cooked sausage to the vegetables.
Add salt, pepper, chili powder, parsley and, stirring until well combined and cheese is incorporated. Gently fold in chopped fresh cilantro (at this point you may refrigerate the mixture up in an air tight container for a day or two).
4. Sprinkle the inside of the roasted pepper halves with salt and pepper. Spoon even amounts of sausage filling into each and sprinkle tops with the shredded cheddar cheese.
VARIATIONS: Try other cheeses (mozzarella, pepper jack, parmesan) or vegetables (tomatoes or zucchini). Toss in some black beans for added protein.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1 stuffed pepper half): 140 calories, 8g fat, 3.5g sat fat, 35mg cholesterol, 9g carb, 2g fiber, 4g sugar, 9g protein