Jot this one down on your Thanksgiving menu for sure. Easily made a few days, or weeks in advance! Why can’t we eat a little healthier every day, including holidays? I know this contains some white sugar, but compared to a full leaded pumpkin pie (around 350 calories/15g fat) or pecan pie (about 490 calories/26g fat) this is a very “skinny” choice.
Rich pumpkin spiced cake surrounds creamy, swirled layers of light cream cheese spread. Whip up a couple for your Thanksgiving bash, hide em’ in the freezer and dessert is done. One month ahead. I’m all about planning in advance to reduce holiday meal anxiety. (If making ahead the key word here is hide – I made this last year before the holidays and Klint and I “accidentally” ate the whole thing before…. whoops!)
Oh, Light Pumpkin Cream Cake Roll…… you are definitely something to be thankful for.
makes 10-12 slices
- 3 EGGS, large (divided)
- 3/4 cup SUGAR
- 3/4 cup PUMPKIN, CANNED, 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 2 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- 3/4 cup WHITE-WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, sifted
- 1 tsp BAKING SODA
- 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
- 8 oz CREAM CHEESE, NEUFCHATEL, REDUCED FAT, softened
- 3/4 cup SUGAR, POWDERED/CONFECTIONER’S
- 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. Add pumpkin and spices. Beat egg whites and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Add pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda). Mix until well combined and batter is smooth.
3. Line a 15×10 rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into lined pan, spread evenly to cover paper and bake for 10-12 minutes.
4. Cool cake 5 minutes then place (lifting out of the pan using the parchment paper) cake side down onto a tea towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove parchment and carefully roll up jelly roll style and cool completely on a cooling rack. Beat cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Unroll cake and spread with cream cheese mixture. Roll up again, wrap with plastic to hold shape and freeze until hard. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Drizzle each slice with a little pure maple syrup or honey, if desired.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1/12th of cake roll): 170 calories, 5g fat, 3g sat fat, 65mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 24g carb, 17g sugar, 5g protein
Image source: http://waistingtimeblog.com/2011/02/18/count-me-in/